Grade/Subject: 3rd Grade
Teachers: Caitlin McGaffick, Katie Stoltenberg
Third grade is an exciting year with growth in many subject areas. Students gain more independence and learn study skills. We also provide many fun ways for students to celebrate their learning such as Word Day and Math Madness. Most importantly we nourish their faith and help students continue to grow in God’s Word. In third grade there is an emphasis on learning about community. We enjoy going to a variety of plays offered by area theater groups. We also enjoy celebrating God’s creation by exploring Retzer Nature Center.
1) List Highlights: (“at school” activities) -
- 3rd/4th Grade Musical - This is the first year 3rd graders participate in a musical at Divine Redeemer. Some students use their gift of acting and stage presence while others dance and sing!
- Word Day - Students choose a unique word and design a hat based on that word. We do a parade through the school and enjoy fun word activities all afternoon.
- Math Madness - Students partake in a friendly math tournament of multiplication facts game. The final two compete in the last round!
- P.E. Demonstration Night - 3rd grade participates in P.E. Demonstration Night along with 1st, 5th, and 7th graders. Parents will enjoy coming to watch these grades present all they have learned and mastered in P.E. class with Ms. Anderson.
2) Field Trips:
- LCL Spring Play
- Retzer Nature Center
- History of Hartland
3) Curriculum features -
- Math: Learning math facts (addition - division), two-step multiplication, long division, fractions, elapsed time
- Science: God’s amazing design of plants and animals, planets, the rock cycle
- Social Studies: communities (rural, suburban, urban) levels of government
- Reading: We use an enriching curriculum with a variety of stories. We study one story a week. We also enjoy novel studies such as Muggie Maggie, Ramona Quimby, Age 8, Mouse on the Motorcycle, Ralph S. Mouse, and Charlotte’s Web. The teachers instill a love of reading by doing chapter book read alouds daily and providing time for students to read independently throughout the day.
4) Technology - Third grade is 1:1 iPads, they also have access to Chromebooks, and each classroom is equipped with a Promethean Board.
5) Specials Available - Physical Education (P.E.), Art, Spanish, Music, Choir
6) Electives and Choices - N/A
7) Extra-curriculars - Girls on the Run, Chess Club
8) Lunch: 11:15-11:45 AM
9) Recesses - Third grade has a forty minute after lunch each day with the fourth and fifth grade classes. We have the opportunity to reward with extra recesses later in the afternoon as needed.