1st grade summary
Teachers: Kari Molnau, Anne Elrod
First grade at Divine Redeemer is a fun filled educational experience. Children will experience the love of Jesus throughout all aspects of their day. Our first grade classrooms are warm and inviting and will make your child feel comfortable and confident. We have small class sizes which allows us to provide differentiated learning experiences.
1. 1st grade students learn independence and self-awareness as they begin the new school year responsible for their own desk and supplies. They learn to work cooperatively with their peers doing STEM activities and holiday centers. We celebrate fun days such as Grandparents Day, Thanksgiving, Grinch Day, Christmas, Valentines Day, and the 100th Day of School.
2. 1st graders usually have three main field trips throughout the school year. In the fall, children will enjoy seeing the dancing horses and exotic bird show at Lake Geneva Animal Garden. In the winter, children will experience a theatrical performance that varies on availability. Finally, in the spring, children enjoy experiencing God’s amazing creation at Green Meadows Farm.
3. 1st graders will be challenged academically through our extensive curriculum which includes Religion, Math, Reading, Science and Social Studies. In Religion, children will journey through the Old and New Testaments learning about God’s love and the promise of salvation through Jesus Christ. Our math curriculum will challenge will challenge our 1st grade students as they learn concepts such as counting money, telling time, measurement, etc. They will continually be challenged as they improve their number sense.
Students will develop their reading skills through our phonics based reading curriculum. They will receive individual and group reading instruction through centers and small group reading with the teacher. Students will also develop their writing skills with weekly writing projects. Students will learn about God through the amazing world of Science and Social Studies as they participate in hands-on experiments and activities. They will explore topics such as senses, matter, forces, magnets, light and sound, chick development, communities and our country.
4. Technology N/A
5. First grade specials are PE, Music, Choir, Art and Spanish.
6. Electives N/A
7. Extra Curricular Activities N/A
8. Lunch Hour - 11:50-12:15
9. 1st graders have two recesses a day. A lunch recess and an afternoon recess.